MANDARIN AND MUSIC WITH MURRAY JAMES
Recently I did an interview with Phil Crimmins, the co-founder of Mandarin Blueprint. Phil is an old friend and drummer I used to perform with around Sichuan. He invited me on his podcast to speak about my experience learning Mandarin and making music in China. The podcast covers many topics, including:
- definitions of language fluency and proficiency;
- reasons to learn (and not to learn) a foreign language;
- similarities between language and music;
- the benefits of patience;
- moving past the “intermediate plateau”;
- immersion/environmental factors;
- language learning and empathy;
- my experience teaching at a Chinese music conservatory;
- aural reading and reading speed;
- reading Chinese literature;
- concision as an indicator of language ability;
- my upcoming role at NYU Shanghai;
- and more.
The podcast can be watched/listened to on the Mandarin Blueprint website. It’s also on YouTube.